In my first term as your school board member, I engaged these stakeholders and utilized a student-centered approach in my work. My guiding principle is that ALL students will succeed, regardless of race, economic status, ethnicity, gender, language or disability.
My contributions, perspectives, and initiatives during my first term have enhanced the board’s work on our school priorities and policies. My focus areas include:
(Click to jump to each section)
- Expanding critical programs in our schools
- Empowering parents to be active participants in their children’s education
- Engaging our community to support our schools and students
Expanding critical programs in our schools
- Supporting the expansion of STEM offerings at the Governor’s Career and Technical Academy at the Career Center.
- Initiating the effort to implement the STEM focus at Hoffman Boston and Taylor Elementary School.
- Supporting the renovation of the David M. Brown Planetarium.
Supporting and funding the first comprehensive Evaluation of Services for Students with Special Needs that now serves as a blueprint for better identifying their needs and improving effective delivery of services to these students.
Advocating for the funding of the first county-wide elementary school level minority achievement coordinator enabling APS to focus resources on students at the critical age when the achievement gap is first revealed.
Empowering parents to be active participants in their children’s education
Engaging our community to support our schools and students
In my second term as your school board member, I will use my effective leadership skills and broad experience with Arlington Public Schools, parents and the broader community to address the major priorities before us. I will do this by maximizing resources to expand instructional opportunities and facilities for our growing student population, working to close the achievement gap and increasing educational success for all students.